Islamic State Officially Claims Jakarta Attacks

File photo of a fighter of ISIL holding a flag and a weapon on a street in Mosul

A fighter of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) holds an ISIL flag and a weapon on a street in the city of Mosul, Iraq, in this June 23, 2014 file photo. To match MIDEAST-CRISIS/IRAQ-TURKEY REUTERS/Stringer/Files

Cairo. Islamic State officially claimed responsibility on Thursday for a gun and bomb assault in the center of Jakarta earlier in the day that killed seven people, five of whom were attackers.

“A group of soldiers of the caliphate in Indonesia targeted a gathering from the crusader alliance that fights the Islamic State in Jakarta through planting several explosive devices that went off as four of the soldiers attacked with light weapons and explosive belts,” the group said in a statement.

Islamic State’s statement said there were 15 people killed but the official tally according to the Indonesian government is seven. A news agency affiliated to Islamic State had earlier reported the group’s responsibility.

Advertisements

4 responses to “Islamic State Officially Claims Jakarta Attacks

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s