Denpasar. An Australian mother and daughter died of suspected food poisoning or a severe allergic reaction in Bali on Saturday, a day after arriving on the island to begin a holiday.
Noelene Gaye Bischoff, 45, and her daughter Yvana Jeana Yuri Bischoff, 14, were in their room at Padangbai Beach Inn Resort in the Karangasem district when Yvana sought help from hotel staff early on Saturday morning.
Ambulances were sent to take the pair to a nearby hospital.
It is understood that Noelene died in the ambulance, while Yvana passed away after being referred to Bali International Medical Center Hospital in Kuta.
Police in Bali said the pair may have died of food poisoning or a food allergy, but could not confirm a cause of death and no autopsy had been carried out at the time of writing.
“We have not received permission from the family, nor from a representative of the Australian consulate in Bali [to conduct an autopsy],” Karangasem Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Gde Adil Mulyawarman said on Sunday. “We have sent samples of their vomit and medication to a forensics lab for investigation.”
Mulyawarman said that the pair had eaten at a restaurant in Ubud on Friday evening before they returned to the hotel, and that police were investigating the restaurant based on witness testimony.
“I don’t know what they ate,” Mulyawarman said.
Halena, a member of staff at Padangbai hotel, said the woman and her daughter checked in on Friday.
“There was nothing unusual about them when they checked in,” she said.
The Jakarta Globe