The observation deck at Indonesia’s National Monument will be closed to the public from Oct. 21 through Dec. 15 while the elevator is replaced a Jakarta city official said on Thursday.
“This is the only elevator in Monas,” said Rini Hariyani, who oversees the monument’s management. “We are temporarily closing it for work, for the safety and comfort of visitors, and therefore we hope for their understanding.”
Rini said that the two meter by one meter elevator, which is 10 years old, requires major repairs. It makes about 160 trip per day to the top of the monument, 115 meters above the ground.
Despite regular maintenance every Monday, she said, the elevator required replacement because of heavy use.
She said Rp 4 billion ($350,000) had been earmarked in the city’s budget for the elevator’s upkeep.
The museum at Monas will remain open to the public, and the management will hold various cultural performances every weekend in the hope of drawing visitors in spite of the temporary closure of the site’s main attraction.
Maryanto, head of facilities and infrastructure at the Jakarta tourism office, said that the new lift had already arrived from Thailand.
“The new lift is now already in Tanjung Priok [North Jakarta],” he said. “The plan is that the lift replacement work will begin on Monday.” JG